Data Protection Information
The Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V. (MPG) takes the protection of your personal data very seriously. We process personal data gathered when visiting our websites in compliance with applicable data protection legislation. We neither publish your data nor transmit them to third parties on an unauthorized basis.
In the following section, we explain which data we record when you visit one of our websites, and exactly how they are utilized:
A. Provision of the Website
1. Visiting the website
a. Type of data
Each time you visit our website, our service and applications automatically record data and information from the computer system of the visiting computer.
The following data are gathered temporarily:
- Your IP address
- Date and time of your access to the website
- Address of the page visited
- Address of the previously visited website (referrer)
- Name and version of your browser / operating system (if transmitted)
These data are stored in our systems' log files. There is no storage of these data together with other personal data relating to the users.
b. Legal basis
The legal basis for the temporary saving of data and log files is Article 6 (1) lit. f GDPR. Storage occurs in log files in order to ensure the website's functionality. The data also serve to optimize the websites, eliminate malfunctions and ensure our IT system security. Our justified interest in data processing pursuant to Article 6 (1) lit. f GDPR also lies in such purposes.
The recording of data for the provision of the website and the storage of data in log files are essential to operate the website. It is therefore not possible for the users to object.
c. Data deletion
The data are deleted as soon as they are no longer required in order to fulfil the purpose of their collection. If data are gathered for the provision of the website, this is the case if the respective visit is ended. In the event that data are stored in log files, this is the case after seven days at the latest. Storage above and beyond this period is possible. In this case, the users' IP addresses are deleted or removed so they can no longer be allocated to the visiting client.
2. User-friendly website design
a. Type of data
- Language settings (localisation) of the browser, functionality of the language switch DE-EN also when changing pages: Sessioncookie i18next
- Session data (click path, pages visited, current language, remembering form data (terms used in the internal site search, entries in the contact form) as well as error messages for forms, if applicable): Sessioncookie mpg_session_r
b. Legal basis
c. Data deletion
The cookies are deleted after closing the session.
B. Web Analysis
1. Type of data
- IP address, anonymized by means of abbreviation
- Two cookies to distinguish between different visitors: pk_id and pk_sess
- Previously visited URL (referrer) if communicated by the browser
- Name and version of the operating system
- Name, version and language setting of the browser.
- URLs visited on this website
- Times of page visits
- Type of HTML requests
- Screen resolution and colour depth
- Technologies and formats supported by the browser (e.g. cookies, Java, Flash, PDF, WindowsMedia, QuickTime, Realplayer, Director, SilverLight, Google Gears).
The saving and analysis of data is carried out solely on a central server operated by the MPG. In addition to the central website www.mpg.de, it is also used by most Max Planck Institutes and many MPG project websites.
It goes without saying that you have the opportunity to object to your data being collected. The following independent methods are available to you if you wish to object to data collection by the central server:
- In your browser, activate the Do-Not-Track setting. As long as this setting is active, our central server will not save any of your data. Important: Do-Not-Track generally only applies to the one device and browser on which the setting is activated. If you use several devices/browsers, you must activate Do-Not-Track separately on each one.
- Use our opt-out function. Click on the check mark in the following selection box under https://mpic/en/privacy-policy/data-collection in order to stop or reactivate data collection. As long as the selection box is deactivated, our central server will not save any of your data. Important: For the opt-out, we have to store a special recognition cookie in your browser. If you delete this or use a different PC/browser, you have to object to data collection once again on this page.
There is no storage of these data together with other personal data relating to the user.
2. Legal basis
The legal basis for the processing of personal data by means of cookies is Art. 6 (1) lit. f GDPR as well as § 25, para. 2, no. 2 TTDSG. The processing of the users' personal data enables us to analyze the usage behaviour of our users. By evaluating the data obtained, we are able to compile information on the use of the individual components of our websites. This helps us improve our websites and their user-friendliness on an ongoing basis. These purposes also constitute our legitimate interest in data processing according to Art. 6 (1) lit. f GDPR as well as § 25, para. 2, no. 2 TTDSG. By anonymizing the IP address, the users' interest in the protection of their personal data is sufficiently taken into account.
3. Data deletion
The data are deleted after the final annual totals have been arrived at for access statistics.
C. General Details
1. Contact details of the controller
The controller within the meaning of the General Data Protection Regulation and other national data protection acts as well as other data protection legislation is the
Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V. (MPG)
Telephone: +49 (89) 2108-0
Contact form: https://www.mpg.de/kontakt/anfragen
2. Data Protection Officer's contact details
The controller’s data protection officer is
Data Protection Officer of the MPG
Telephone: +49 (89) 2108-1554
The MPIC uses external links to videos on the YouTube platform on some pages, which are not directly integrated into the pages. The external links are provided with a preview image, which is generated using an API service provided by YouTube. The YouTube Terms of Service can be accessed via the following link:
E. Rights of the Data Subjects
As a data subject whose personal data are collected in the context of the above-mentioned services, you generally have the following rights unless legal exceptions apply in individual cases:
- Information (Article 15 GDPR)
- Correction (Article 16 GDPR)
- Deletion (Article 17 (1) GDPR)
- Restriction of processing (Article 18 GDPR)
- Data transmission (Article 20 GDPR)
- Revocation of processing (Article 21 GDPR)
- Revocation of consent (Article 7 (3) GDPR)
- Right to complain to the regulator (Article 77 GDPR). For the MPG, this is the Bayerische Landesamt für Datenschutzaufsicht [Bavarian Data Protection Authority], Postfach 1349, 91504 Ansbach, Germany.