The following provides mandatory data concerning the provider of this website, obligations with regard to data protection, as well as other important legal references involving the Internet site of the Earth System Research Partnership (= http://www.earthsystem.de/2485/en) as required by German law
The provider of this Internet site within the legal meaning of the term is the registered association Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science e.V.
Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V.
Phone: +49 (89) 2108 - 0
Register of Societies and Associations
The Max Planck Society is registered in the Official Register of Societies and Associations at Berlin-Charlottenburg Local Court under the register number VR 13378 B.
The Max Planck Society is legally represented by its Board of Directors which, in turn, is represented by the President of the Society, Prof. Dr. Martin Stratmann and by Secretary General Rüdiger Willems (comm.).
Value Added Tax Identification Number
The value added tax identification number of the Max Planck Society is DE 129517720.
Responsible editors for the contents of the website of the Earth System Research Partnership with regard to media law:
Dr. Susanne Benner
Max Planck Institute for Chemistry
Editors for further websites 
Max-Planck-Institut für Chemie
The Max Planck Society is a non-profit research facility which is organized as a registered association. All of the institutes and facilities of the Max Planck Society are largely autonomous in terms of organization and research, but as a rule have no legal capacity of their own.
Foreign Language Pages
To the extent that parts of this Internet site are offered in languages other than German, this represents a service exclusively for staff and guests of the Max Planck Society who are not proficient in German.
Liability for Contents of Online Information
As the provider of contents in accordance with Section 7 Paragraph 1 of the Tele-Media Law, the Max Planck Society shall be responsible for any contents which it makes available for use in accordance with general legal provisions. The Max Planck Society makes every effort to provide timely and accurate information on this Web site. Nevertheless, errors and inaccuracies cannot be completely ruled out. Therefore, the Max Planck Society does not assume any liability for the relevance, accuracy, completeness or quality of the information provided. The Max Planck Society shall not be liable for damage of a tangible or intangible nature caused directly or indirectly through the use or failure to use the information offered and/or through the use of faulty or incomplete information unless it is verifiably culpable of intent or gross negligence. The same shall apply to any downloadable software available free of charge. The Max Planck Society reserves the right to modify, supplement, or delete any or all of the information offered on its Internet site, or to temporarily or permanently cease publication thereof without prior and separate notification.
Links to Internet Sites of Third Parties
This Internet site includes links to external pages. These external links are designated as follows: . The respective provider shall be responsible for the contents of any linked external pages. In establishing the initial link, the Max Planck Society has reviewed the respective external content in order to determine whether such link entailed possible civil or criminal responsibility. However, a constant review of linked external pages is unreasonable without concrete reason to believe that a violation of the law may be involved. If the Max Planck Society determines such or it is pointed out by others that an external offer to which it is connected via a link entails civil or criminal responsibility, then the Max Planck Society will immediately eliminate any link to this offer. The Max Planck Society expressly dissociates itself from such contents.
The layout, graphics employed and any other contents on the homepage of the Max Planck Society Internet site are protected by copyright law.
© Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V., Munich. All rights reserved.
Content Management System
Infopark CMS Fiona
Technical Manager / Contact
Senior Project Leader Internet
IT Service Coordinator
Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften e.V.
Data Collection Declaration
For statistical data collection purposes, the Max Planck Society employs the web analytics tool Piwik. It is used by the central website www.mpg.de, but also by most of the Max Planck Institutes and by many project websites related to the Max Planck Society.
The following instructions and settings are relevant for all websites utilising the central Piwik server. A notice to this effect is included in the imprint of the concerned website.
Options to Object
You have the following independent options to object to the collection of data by the central Piwik server:
- Activate your browser’s Do-Not-Track setting. As long as this setting is active, our central Piwik server will not store any data about you. Note: As a rule, the Do-Not-Track setting is only valid for the specific computer and the specific browser in which you activate this setting. Should you use more than one computer or browser, please make sure to activate the Do-Not-Track setting on all of them separately.
- You can also use our Opt-Out function. Therefore, please tick the box below to stop the collection of data or to activate it again. As long as the box is deactivated, our central Piwik server will not store any data about you. Note: For the Opt-Out function we need to save a special recognition cookie to your browser. If you delete this cookie or use another computer / browser, please make sure to object to the collection of data again on this website.
Data Collected by Piwik
Insofar as you have not objected, the following data are being recorded by our central Piwik server and included in the usage statistics.
- IP address, shortened for anonymity
- A cookie to distinguish different visitors
- The previously visited URL (referrer), insofar as it has been transmitted by your browser
- Name and version of your operating system
- Name, version and language settings of your browser
- URLs visited in this website
- Time stamps of visits
- Types of HTML requests
- Screen resolution and colour depth
- Technical processes and formats supported by your browser (e.g. cookies, Java, Flash, PDF, WindowsMedia, QuickTime, RealPlayer, Director, SilverLight, Google Gears)